Love Local Guide: Happy Holidays
The Central Coast’s small businesses give our community its colour, so this season let’s support them in one of the toughest years yet by shopping, dining and celebrating local.
Our local shops keep our town centres vibrant, community connected and create local jobs – all while providing their amazing services! There are countless ways to support local small businesses this holiday season. Simply by choosing to buy your fresh produce and poultry locally, by shopping for a festive frock at local boutiques, or planning a coffee catchup or date night at your local cafes and restaurants, you're helping.
Your valuable trade with local businesses will help them immensely on their path to recovery from the impact of the catastrophic bushfires, floods and COVID-19. This season, let's slay this support local thing as a community! Santa says he's quite happy to avoid the big trip Down Under this year.
Buy local. Support local. Love local. #LoveCentralCoast
We hope you enjoy our latest Love Local Guide to the festive season on the Central Coast…
Shop local for unique Christmas gifts
Whether you’re searching for stocking fillers, or want to gift an experience to remember – the Central Coast is filled with excitingly unique options! We are extremely lucky to be part of a diverse community of Makers & Creators who call our destination home, and many of them are on hand this month to craft and curate specialty items and experiences you can buy for your loved ones.
Experiences as gifts
- Treat your loved ones to a deluxe oyster farm experience, with gift vouchers for 2021 available from Mooney Mooney Oyster Farm Tours (also known as Sydney Oyster Tours).
- Book in for an exclusive behind the scenes Meet the Winemaker Tour with someone who loves their craft wine, courtesy of Firescreek Winery at Holgate.
- Need to buy for someone who is notoriously fussy, difficult, has it all – or all of the above? A great way to support local is to buy a gift voucher from a small local business to be enjoyed by (or with) said fussy person in the New Year. Like this cute postcard voucher from the Kincumber Post Café.
- Know a slow seeker? Give the gift of slow living, courtesy of Slowwell at Ettalong. The shop is focused on wellbeing as a lifestyle cultivated through great coffee, the great outdoors, and great conversations. This is all available packaged up in their store through a unique collection of books, brewing kits and lovely homewares.
Foodie & craft bevvy gifts
- Preorder a chocolate raspberry and liquor gelato cake from the talented man Dan of Mr Goaty Gelato, available via Bar Botanica at Erina Heights. They also have a lemon myrtle liquor cake, but both have limited availability…
- Last-minute panic? Grab a gift voucher for Yellowtail Dining Experience at Terrigal, one of the Coast’s fine dining venues and hatted restaurants. Just ensure the recipient promises to take you along for the 5-star feast.
- Christmas isn’t right without some festive themed craft beers sourced directly from your local brewhouse! Check out Saving Santa and North Pole Thunder Sack limited releases from Bay Road Brewing based in Gosford.
- Build your own gift box of handmade chocolates at Wyong Milk Factory, simply by popping into Luka Chocolates, who have recently launched Salted Lime, Rhum & Raisin and Belgian Chocolate Ganache flavours.
- Cute gingerbread houses are available from Ludo’s Gourmet Kitchen, a French-inspired patisserie at Avoca Beach, which are hand-cut, assembled and decorated by their skilled in-house team.
- The Marshmallow Co dessert bar in Wyong is a sweet treat haven for pressie ideas, with a range of different marshy flavours to pick and mix in a gift box, or keep it simple and grab one of their festive themed hot chocolate baubles, or emoji marshmallow packs.
- The classic cocktail of the holiday season is... surely the Espresso Martini! Whether buying as a gift, or for your Christmas Day or New Year's Eve festivities, Mr Black Cold Brew Coffee Liquor is a locally made spirit that will blow the socks off your coffee loving friend or family member as a gift. Bottles are available in local stores and online.
- Botanical prints and linens are ready to order from local artist Nicole Berlach, including the Yellow Box Gum, Eucalyptus melliodora Limited Edition Art Print.
- Beautiful custom sized belts are made to order with Crown & Anchor on the Central Coast, skilfully created by a local leather craftsman.
- Delicate and gorgeous festive paper ornaments from KK Homewares, available via their online store, plus coastal themed prints and hand-curated homewares.
- Explore the Mowgli Studio at Long Jetty for great botanical gifts including plant care books - many coming artfully pre-wrapped. You’ll find the perfect pressie here for that green-fingered, indoor jungle-loving friend.
- If you missed them at the Mt Penang Christmas Markets and Avoca Twilight Markets this December, A Vintage Ambience have one last round of online orders for their hand-poured soy candles, wrapped up with shiny red ribbon and served in elegant resusable glassware.
- Handpainted watercolour cards, decorations and artworks are available from Sprigs and Brushes, featuring carrots to Christmas trees, wreaths to reindeer.
- Go all-out fancy and give that special someone a Pearls of Australia Seagrass Ring. This rare item of jewellery comes with a certificate of authenticity and is wrapped up in a gift box and bag – beeline for Ettalong Diggers Visitor Information Centre to purchase one.
For the kids
- For the modern nursery, try A Creative Heart, who have just launched their Australia Animal Decal Collection in time for Christmas. All animal designs are handpainted and encourage kiddies to grow up with a love for our beautiful local fauna.
- Ettalong Galleria is filled with small businesses sharing unique items every weekend, including Kala and Kai for kids, who are a great option for sustainably-minded parents – their sensory play range is truly special and worthy of a peruse.
- Handmade macrame rainbows in various colour tones are ready to ship locally from Shells and Bells, which make a lovely addition to a nursery, creative child's bedroom or play area.
- Browse cute children’s toys and trinkets at Tiny Folk Co stores located in both Long Jetty and Erina.
Festive community events
- The last Falafel Night of 2021 will be hosted at Like Minds, Avoca Beach, on Friday the 18th, featuring food (falafel, obvs) and fun in the sun at the venue’s outdoor garden.
- Need a stunning natural wreath for your front door? Make an appointment to visit the Dried Flower Emporium at Coachwood Nursery, just off the M1 in the Central Coast Hinterland – next dates available are the 18th and 19th December.
- The Central Coast has its very own European style gingerbread bakery! This season you can actually pop by Adris Gingerbread in Kincumber for their annual Open Day on 20th December and bag yourself some spicy, handcrafted treats.
- Many businesses are embracing the 12 Days of Christmas with festive themed promotions of their wares. Bumble Hill Shed Shop in Kulnura are offering daily giveaways up until Christmas, starring products sourced locally from Central Coast hinterland artisans and local farmers, including fruit & veg boxes, mud kitchen for kids, and gift vouchers for their weekend farm shop.
- Too busy during the day to find a beautiful gift for your girlfriend, or a fancy frock for your NYE party? Enjoy late night shopping at Plain Janes or Shadow Bang plus many other Long Jetty boutique stores and eateries, including Mowgli Studios, Tacoast, Lucky Surf & Supply, Long Jetty Vintage, Yasaka Japanese, Modern Organic and Kloth Industrie. Generous small business owners will be keeping their doors open up until 6pm on Christmas Eve.
Dashing through Long Jetty?
If you're one of those people who absolutely LOVES all things Xmas, make a date to drop by Long Jetty’s red, white, green and glitter-filled seasonal store, A Dash of Christmas, to unearth all kinds of kitschy festive memorabilia and holiday decorations.
Plan your Christmas lights drive
From Wyongah in the north to St Hubert’s Island in the south, there’s some extravagantly bright Christmas light shows to witness on your annual drive around the neighbourhoods this year. Playing in Puddles has created an extensive online map to help you plot your route around the Coast on a traditional Christmas lights drive. Featuring more than 180 locations, the map includes homes and whole street displays, which the kids (and probably a few of us adults) will love to get into the magical feeling of the season.
See the Coast's Christmas trees in town centres
Giant Christmas trees will light up Toukley Village Green, Kibble Park in Gosford and Memorial Park at The Entrance throughout December – with a twist. Visit The Entrance, Gosford, Woy Woy or Toukley to snap a holiday photo with a unique augmented reality experience, simply by scanning a QR code. Find out all you need to know about Christmas on the Coast this December.
Share the local love
Got a suggestion for our Love Local Guides? We'd love to hear it. Get in touch with us here.
Tagging local businesses is a free and easy way to support local. Don't forget – when sharing your own Christmas on the Central Coast experience on social media, tag #LoveCentralCoast and mention us on Instagram and Facebook.